Sunday, January 23, 2011

Divine Nature # 3

Make your home life better. For two weeks make a special effort to strengthen your relationship with a family member by showing love through your actions. Refrain from judging, criticizing, or speaking unkindly, and watch for positive qualities in that family member. Write notes of encouragement, pray for this family member, find ways to be helpful, and verbally express your love. Share your experiences and the divine qualities you’ve discovered with that family member or with a parent or leader.

Shh, don't tell, but I chose two people! No big surprise there. Since there are only the three of us in our family, and I love them both more than anything, I've been paying attention to the divine qualities Todd and Oliver both possess.

Because I am his mother, and love him more than life itself, I am constantly praying for Oliver. I work hard each day to serve him by teaching him, and with the special needs he has, making every possible opportunity into a learning experience. I won't lie, but some times it is exhausting. And of course, I'm constantly expressing my love to him along with hugs, kisses, smiles, and laughter.

Some of the divine qualities I've seen in Oliver:

He loves unconditionally. He has a way of making everyone feel like they are the most important person to him, just as the Savior and our Heavenly Father can, if we allow them. He teaches me about love, patience, service, charity, joy, peace, and trust, just by being who he is. I love that he teaches me about integrity; I know that if he tells me he deserves a piece of candy it's because he really did go pee in the potty, even if it was just a few drops! And he helps me have integrity by reminding me of things I told him, when I forget.

Todd, my wonderful husband, has so many divine qualities, and gives himself so little credit. The best thing I can say about Todd is that he is a great example to me. He sets goals and works hard to accomplish them. He set a goal to read the entire standard works (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price) and reads every night, even if it's just a few verses. So far he has read the entire Bible and Book of Mormon, and is now reading the D&C. It's taken a couple years, but he will finish this goal by the end of this year! He also set a goal to say his personal prayers each day. What an example that is to me, when I'm laying in bed, having forgotten, and I see him kneel to pray. He never forgets!

He also has the most integrity of anyone I've ever met. While most people would roll through a stop sign, or speed when there isn't any one around, Todd won't, simply because it's not right. Not because he is compelled, but because it's part of having integrity. He puts carts away in the parking lot, doesn't make personal calls at work, and always uses his blinker. Sometimes it's a little annoying to have him be so "perfect" all the time, but it makes me strive to be better myself.

He is also a great example of service. He will do anything I ask of him without complaint, and lots of things before I ask. He sees my needs and meets them before I even express them. I feel so loved because I know he would do anything for me. I have tried to be the same, and it has strengthened our marriage so much to serve each other like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment